Sunday, September 19, 2021
Music: James Garcia and Team
Host: Bernard Bell
Message: Shawn Reese
The Good Shepherd
Welcome to PBCC
We are glad you joined us today!
We gather in worship to remind ourselves who God is, what he has done in Christ and what he is doing through his Spirit. Our desire is to praise God and receive afresh his Spirit in us, to affirm that we are family reconciled one to another and to be empowered to reach out to the world.
Call to Worship: Psalm 100 (ESV)
All Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth!
Leader Serve the Lord with gladness!
People Come into his presence with singing!
All Know that the Lord, he is God!
Leader It is he who made us, and we are his;
People we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
Leader Enter his gates with thanksgiving,
People and his courts with praise!
All Give thanks to him; bless his name!
All For the Lord is good;
Leader his steadfast love endures forever,
People and his faithfulness to all generations.
King of Glory
Next Sunday – Dorman Followill will be our guest speaker
Tithes and Offerings
Scripture Reading: Psalm 23 (ESV)
1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
3 He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
Sermon Text: John 10:1-21 (ESV)
I. The True Shepherd (1-6)
1 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the gate but climbs in by another way, that man is a thief and a robber. 2 But he who enters by the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. 3 To him the gatekeeper opens. The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4 When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. 5 A stranger they will not follow, but they will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers.” 6 This figure of speech Jesus used with them, but they did not understand what he was saying to them.
II. The Gate (7-9)
7 So Jesus again said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the gate of the sheep. 8 All who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. 9 I am the gate. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture.
III. The Good Shepherd (10-11)
10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. 11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.
IV. The Deeply Personal Shepherd (12-18)
12 He who is a hired hand and not a shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13 He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. 17 For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father.”
V. The Response (19-21)
19 There was again a division among the Jews because of these words. 20 Many of them said, “He has a demon, and is insane; why listen to him?” 21 Others said, “These are not the words of one who is oppressed by a demon. Can a demon open the eyes of the blind?”
Questions for Reflection
- Who am I following?
- What voice(s) am I listening to?
- Where do I go for security and satisfaction (the abundant life)?
King of Kings
Praise & Prayer Requests
Please pray for . . .
- my son, Dylan, and friend, Justino, who are in the hospital. Pray for a complete recovery.
- physical healing from insomnia illness and other illnesses.
- for a rash covering most of my body that is causing serious painful swelling to go away. Once it’s gone, pray that I will be able to resume treatments, trying to keep the cancer contained.
- the nodule on my spinal cord and cysts on my liver. The next step is to see a G.I. Specialist. Please pray for peace and family unity.
- wisdom for a young, hardworking repairman who is negotiating the purchase of a business. Pray that the timing will be under favorable circumstances and that he will obtain the necessary financing.
- my immunocompromised elderly parents who babysit their young grandchildren who are now attending in-person school. Please pray for a better solution and for Jesus’ mighty protection against the COVID Delta variant.
- provision of safe housing for a young couple and their three children. Their current apartment has become unsafe and their vehicle broken into many times.
|General Fund 12 month average||$219,567||$172,428||$47,139|